Monday, June 30, 2014

Reading Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte's masterpiece

Do you know the title Wuthering Heights? One of Bronte Sisters' work.
I'm about halfway reading the book right now and I swear to you, this book is full of unstable emotion, tragic, dark, gloomy, and yeah, annoying. I should give Emily Bronte an applause for her outstanding characters in this tragic love story. It's rare to find a book that could stirred up your mind and blown your anger out with its antagonist play. Honestly, in my point of view, the entire characters in this book were antagonist. All of them play the bad guy role. This book is a success, showed the result of revenge, hatred, and jealousy. Physical and mental violence is part of this book.

I know about Wuthering Heights from a manga, Glass Mask (Garasu no Kamen). In the manga, Wuthering Heights is a drama which the main character played. I thought that it's just another love story build from childhood, but now I'm sure the drama version has modified a LOT from the original story -_-

Let me give you a little review about the half I have read : there's a man named Lockwood with closed personality rent a house. The owner is a man with very low manners and dark past named Heathcliff. Lockwood was curious about Heathcliff and ask Ellen Dean who has been worked as housemaid in this house for years to tell a story about Heathcliff and Wuthering Heights (place name). Ellen told Lockwood everything happenned in this cursed place. The Earnshaw family; their mannerless, amazingly conceited, terribly egoistic and emotional unstable daughter Catherine Earnshaw made a good-weird friendship with Heathcliff. After the died of his father, Hindley treated her little sister and Heathcliff so badly. Two faced Catherine then married with Edgar Linton her nearest neighbor, though she loved Heathcliff. Broken-hearted Heathcliff left the house and years later came back to smash up Linton family's peaceful life, started from Hindley. Heathcliff himself has a terrible personality, while Edgar Linton is a wise and calm man.
That's all from the half I've read. I can ever guess what will be happen in the end.

Usually, I'll write some review after reading a book but for this one, I really don't know how to express it in words. I'm not good at words, basically. Maybe I'll search in the internet for the most beautiful Wuthering Heights review and post the link below my own review -______-

I need to know other readers' opinion about this book, after all ~
Okay! I'm going to finish this book!

#WutheringHeights #EmilyBronte #BronteSisters

No comments:

Post a Comment